follow us on facebook instagram youtube twitter linkedin

Devon St Lukes Challenge Cup Semi Final

calendario 21.03.2023
by: Paul Gray
  • South West
Devon St Lukes Challenge Cup Semi Final

Southern League Division One South  side Tavistock travelled to the Ian Moorcoft Stadium to take on Premiership side  Tiverton Town in the Devon St Lukes  Challenge Cup Semi Final in a good vain of form and hoping to cause a cup upset.
Tiverton got the game underway with both teams struggling to get a grip in the opening minutes. Tivvy's first real effort on goal fell to Louis Morison but he put his shot wide of the target. On thirteen minutes Tavistock had their first sniff of goal when from a corner they headed just over the Tivvy bar. Tiverton were seeing more of the ball and Niall Thompson had a couple of opportunities but just couldn't find the finishing touch which was mostly down to some good goal keeping from Josh Oak in the visitors goal who also denied Lucas Vowles from close range. Next a low shot across the Tavistock goalmouth from Niall Thompson was put out for a corner by keeper Oak. The resulting corner saw a Tavistock defender clear the ball off his own goal line as Tivvy threatened to take the lead. As the half went on Tavistock came more into the game but neither side could find the finishing touch and  the half finished goalless. Tavistock started the second half brightly and a early chance fell to Oscar Massey who's shot across the Tivvy box went narrowly wide of the target. Another Tavistock chance fell to Adam Macpherson who found himself in front of the Tiverton goal but he miss hit his shot with the goal at his mercy. Both teams created chances but just like the first half neither side could find the back of the net and the game went to a penalty shootout. 
Tavistock took the first spot kick and converted it to put them 1-0 up. First up for Tiverton was Louis Morison  but Josh Oak  saved his effort to give Tavistock the advantage. Tavistock's next penalty was brilliantly saved by Ollie Saunders to keep Tivvy in the game. Niall Thompson then converted for Tiverton to level it up at 1-1. Tavistock scored their next kick to make it 2-1. Joe Belsten then had his penalty saved by Oak in the Tavistock goal and a cup upset looked on the cards. Tivvy keeper Ollie Saunders was having none of that and saved his second penalty of the shoot out. Tom Purrington then scored for Tiverton to level the score at 2-2. Ollie Saunders then saved his third penalty of the evening to give Tiverton the upper hand. Next up for Tiverton was Matt Britton who smashed his spot kick into the roof of the Tavistock net to send Tiverton through to the Devon St Lukes Challenge Cup Final by a 3-2 penalty shoot out scoreline. Source: Paul Gray

Follow us on Facebook
x Login through social networks
Facebook login Sign in with Facebook
Google login Sign in with Google
Or login with your credentials
Forgot username or password? Not yet registered?